Monday 28 March 2011

Accommodation - Marvao / Castelo de Vide area / Lisbon

There is a wide variety of accommodation available from camping, Bed only (normal in Portugal & then you go to a local cafe for breakfast), B & B, villas to rent and hotels.

If a group of dancers want to book the B & B at Camping Asseiceira there is a good discount plus use of the self catering facilities. Gary is the friendly & welcoming owner who owns this wonderful site in San Antonio das Areias. I think it says it all that friends arrived in their caravan in November 2009 with the plan to travel around Portugal........ they didn't leave till May 2010!!!!

www.campingasseiceira.com

Casa Melanie, Castelo de Vide centre - (00 351) 245 901 632
This is where I stayed when I first came to the Castelo de Vide. Accommodation is room only & you can have breakfast at the Cafes nearby. Emilia is a welcoming & friendly host who has turned out to be one of my many Guardian Angels here - she has been so helpful & kind to me. Thanks to Emilia who gives me lots of her valuable time I have been able to sort out so many things!

LISBON
Despite it being the capital you can get incredibly cheap accommodation. I have stayed right in the centre in a good hotel for the reasonable sum of 50 Euros for the two of us (Feb 2010).

Depending on how fussy you are hostels are worth checking out. Only heard good reports about them from people who have used them. Many Hostels have twin rooms & I recently stayed in one which was 36 Euros for a twin. 15 Euros per head sharing a 4 bed room in an expensive area of Lisbon where the other alternatives were more like 80 Euros for a room.

I get the impression that Tourist Informations can get cheap deal last minute bookings when searches on the internet were not successful.