Sunday 27 March 2011

Travel Information

Hi, gradually over time I will improve this page. So for the time being please bear with me!
Travel Info - updated - 27th March 2011

For accommodation - please look for the 'Accommodation' post

I will also be putting together a 'Things to do locally' post

AIRPORT - the nearest one to me is Lisbon (Lisboa).
Then there are various options - car hire, coach or train (the latter is not great regards the timing).

** I have heard that there is another airport opened in Spain recently which is about the same sort of distance away but I have no idea yet of the links to my area.

Faro airport is something like a 5 hour drive (very easy drive particulary if done via the toll motorway) or 7 hour coach journey if you get the one daily direct coach.

Car Hire - easy & pleasant drive to where I live. Be aware though that it will take between 2 & 1/2 to 3 hours depending on how fast you drive. I will be putting together very clear directions directly from the airport. A car is a good idea if you are someone who likes to go off & explore. Although any guests staying with me I will organise trips out depending on my commitments at the time. Once you are in rural Alentejo, Portugal it is not so easy to then in hindsight try to hire a car!

Car hire has been cheap for the month of April 2011- it is possible to hire a reasonable car for less than £130 Euros. Infact when 4 people wanted to get a bigger car (because of luggage space) it actually worked out much cheaper to hire 2 smaller cars.

** Be aware that the there is a distinct lack of efficiency when hiring a car from Lisbon airport. Patience is not a virtue - it is a necessity when picking up your car. Be patient & polite, smile and just chill. Also, it is a good idea that you check you can drive into Spain - best to ensure your insurance covers you for going out of Portugal as I am close by the Spanish border.

Coach - There is a shuttle bus (about 3.5o Euros) from the airport to the main coach station called Sete Rios. The taxi ride is currently about 10 Euros so if there are a few of you it is easier & cheaper to hop in a taxi. Make sure you discuss price / that the meter is on - mostly honesty isn't a problem though. There is one daily coach at 3pm to San Antonio das Areias (on timetable it is S Antonio Areias) which is a lovely village near me (10 mins from my house). I enjoy the pleasant journey but does take about 4 & 1/2 hours. The other main town near by is Portalegre (30 min drive) which has several coaches going to it throughout the day. This trip can be as little as 2 & 3/4 hours. www.rede-expressos.pt If you google rede-expressos various information sites come up. I can email you a translation of a timetable between Lisbon & myself. Current cost to San Antonio is about 17 Euros.

Train - there is a train that goes from Lisbon through to Madrid. It stops at a station called Beira / Marvao which is about 20 mins from me. But it is at an ungodly hour - I will check it out.

TRAVELING AROUND LISBON
If you wish to spend a day or two in Lisbon there is lots to see & do. There is a metro which has been efficient & easy to use the few times I have done it. The GREEN ticket you get is reusable so don't throw it away like I did (on-0ne told me!). You present this each time you buy a ticket(I believe it is for the metro, train & bus). Also, it was a coincidence that at the train station I realised that I had to 'activate' the card before catching the train by waving it at a little upright machine. Again, no-one at the ticket desk told me. I read that there is a huge fine if you don't!!

There appears to be an all day ticket travel option for less than 4 Euros. You can visit some great places outside of Lisbon which are still in the special deal area of Zone 1.

There appears to be quite an efficient bus service around Lisbon but I have an aversion to buses which I still need to overcome.

Some of the free maps from the tourist info give good details of the bus, train & metro routes.